If you're coming from Ukraine by train, chances are you'll be getting off at Budapest Nyugati Railway Station. Find out in this article,
- what services are available at the station;
- how to get food when you arrive here;
- what you can do in and around Nyugati.
You can find more information about your options when traveling to Hungary in this article: I have arrived in Hungary – Basic practical information
Services at the station
- Domestic ticket sales
Opening hours: every day 6 am - 7:35 pm
- International ticket sales
Opening hours: every day: 6 am - 7:35 pm
*Tickets for international travel, seat tickets and travel passes can be paid in euros!
- Found objects service:
Located in the building, accessible from platform 13. Lost and found objects can be collected from 6 am to 6 pm
- Luggage storage
Opening hours: every day between 2:30 am - 0:50 am
Location: on platform 8, to the left of the ticket machines, next to the escalator that goes to the underpass. You can rent a small locker for 1000 HUF, and a large locker 1200 HUF (for 24 hours). You can only pay with coins of 100 and 200 HUF. ATTENTION: You can close the locker only once with one deposit!
Customer service: Unfortunately, there is no in-person customer service at Nyugati, only at another railway station, called Keleti (Eastern Railway Station/Keleti pályaudvar). However, you can get in touch with the call center using the following numbers:
MÁVDIREKT: +36 (1) 3 49 49 49, mobile: +36 (20/30/70) 499 4999
Where can I buy food?
- Fornetti bakery, credit card coffee and drinks vending machine - next to tracks 1-9, near the exit to the car park;
- McDonald's - to the left of the main entrance, approx. 50 metres;
- Other fast food restaurants – Westend mall;
- SPAR grocery store - underpass;
- LIDL - at the address of Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út 61. - approximately 5 minutes walk from the railway station;
- ALDI - at the address of Váci út 14. - facing WestEnd mall, approximately 4 minutes walk from the station;
Tobacconist - at the railway station, Váci út, access from the underpass, or at Teréz krt. 56 (corner of Teréz krt. and Podmaniczky utca).
Where can I find a bathroom?
- Underpass, between platforms 11 and 12, cost: 250 HUF. 6 am-10 pm.
- McDonald's - to the left of the main entrance, approx. 50 metres, cost: 200 HUF. 6 am - 12 pm
- Westend, 9 am - 10 pm, free of charge.
Where can I charge my phone or pay for credit on the SIM-card?
- Charging your phone in case of low battery- at McDonald's
- Paying for credit on the SIM-card/ only Hungarian numbers - newsstand next to tracks 1-5.
If you want to know more about using Ukrainian SIM-cards in Hungary, read our article: Ukrainian SIM-card in Hungary
Where can I change money?
- ATMs at the train station: you can navigate at the ATMs in Russsian language, and you can withdraw small amounts of money as well (e.g. 1000,-Ft).
- Expert Change: Exchange office Teréz krt. 56 (at the corner of Podmaniczky and Teréz krt.)
- Exclusive Change: Exchange office Teréz krt. 62 (opposite McDonalds) and in the shopping mall, WestEnd
- MoneyGram: Podmaniczky utca 1-3.
Western Union: at the exchange office of the train station.